6 Summer Safety Tips for Cats
It's important to keep your furry feline friends safe and comfortable during the summer months. Cats may seem like they can handle the heat, but they still need special attention during hot weather. Here are some essential summer safety tips to keep your cat healthy and happy.
1. Cats are great at finding cool spots in your home, but it's still important to monitor them. When the temperature is too high, it can be difficult for cats to regulate their body temperature, which can lead to heat stroke. Keep the air conditioning on or provide plenty of cool water.
2. Keep windows and doors screened. Cats love lounging by open windows, but it's important to keep them screened to prevent your cat from accidentally falling out or getting stuck. Make sure screens are sturdy and secure to prevent any accidents.
3. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Make sure your cat has access to fresh, clean water at all times. In the summer months, cats can easily become dehydrated. You can also provide wet food or add water to dry food to help keep your cat hydrated.
4. Protect your cat from sunburn. Yes, cats can get sunburned too! White cats, hairless cats, and cats with thin fur are especially susceptible to sunburn. Consider installing UV-blocking films on your windows to help block out some of those harmful rays.
5. Watch out for toxic plants. Summer is the time when many plants are in bloom, but some can be toxic to cats. Lilies, for example, are highly toxic and can cause kidney failure if ingested. Other toxic plants include azaleas, tulips, and daffodils. Make sure to keep these plants out of reach and consult with your veterinarian if you suspect your cat has ingested a toxic plant.
6. Keep your cat away from harmful chemicals. Summer is also the time when many chemicals are used, such as pesticides, fertilizers, and pool chemicals. Keep these chemicals out of reach and always store them in a secure location. If your cat comes into contact with any of these chemicals, seek veterinary care immediately.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your cat stays safe and healthy during the summer months. Remember, if you ever have any concerns about your cat's health or behavior, don't hesitate to contact us at (207) 874-2287.